Book Review Editor (Volunteer)
Friends Journal is seeking a Book Review Editor. The Books column shares reviews of recently published titles by and about Quakers and titles that are of interest to Friends Journal readers. The column appears in nine of eleven issues of the magazine per year (the May and December issues are reserved for reviews of young Friends titles, managed by a separate Young Friends Book Review Editor) and on Friendsjournal.org.
This is an unpaid volunteer position, with an expectation of 10-18 hours/month. The candidate will work remotely, and the start date is flexible, ideally sometime in July or August.
Qualifications include: someone who loves reading and books, particularly ones of interest to Friends; enjoys working closely with others (FJ’s volunteer reviewers); is familiar with Friends Journal and its audience; has proven editing, writing, and research skills, in addition to project management skills; is interested in following publishing industry news.
Roles of the Book Review Editor:
- Works with Friends Journal editorial staff to request, receive, log, and ultimately select books for review, including consideration of unsolicited titles.
- Responsible for appropriately matching each selected title with one of Friends Journal’s available reviewers who have a range of knowledge and expertise.
- Using email and/or phone, corresponds with each reviewer in a timely manner to coordinate mailing physical copies of books, setting attainable review deadlines to meet column requirements, and tracking reviews to completion. (See book review guidelines for reviewers here.)
- Edits each book review for style and length (about 400 to 800 words). See published book reviews here. Adheres to an almost monthly deadline (skip three months) to send a set of completed book reviews (one column generally features about 5 to 8 titles) to editorial staff. One issue per year (usually November) features an expanded Books column with twice the amount of material.
- Occasionally writes full and “In Brief” reviews (once or twice a year) for the column.
Additionally, Friends Journal provides all volunteers with a complimentary membership to the magazine in appreciation of their contribution to our work and mission.
Submit your resume and application via Submittable.