Friends Journal is seeking a news editor. This is an unpaid volunteer position, and the candidate will work remotely. The time commitment is flexible, to be determined collaboratively based on the skills and availability of the best-fit applicant.
Qualifications include: a deep interest in what Quakers are doing across all branches; a familiarity with Friends Journal and its audience; fact-checking, web research, and project management skills; ability to write concisely for a general audience is a plus.
Roles of the news editor:
- Works with Friends Journal editorial staff to gather news about Quakers and Quaker organizations, for publication in the News department of Friends Journal and on our social media outlets
- Reviews and edits submissions to the semiannual Quaker Works department
- Reaches out to and corresponds with contacts via phone and/or email
- Familiarity with and adherence to Friends Journal‘s style sheet (not required to apply, can be learned on-the-job)
To apply for the Friends Journal news editor position, please write a short letter of interest (maximum of 800 words) that addresses the following questions:
- How would you describe yourself as a media consumer?
- Which Quaker organizations, individuals, or groups do you follow closely?
- Do you have any topics of special interest?
- What would be your criteria for judging incoming submissions?
Please include your name and contact information, plus contact information for two references who have worked with you in a Quaker or professional capacity (committee work counts!). Additionally, you may include the following information, but it is not required: resume, professional C.V., or LinkedIn page; links to any applicable blogs or websites.
Submit your application via Submittable, the online platform FJ uses to manage submissions; OR email all materials to [email protected]. The news editor will have the option to create a Submittable account and use basic features of the service; it is not required to perform the duties of the position.
Deadline: There’s no deadline. We’ll be accepting applications until the position is filled.
Like our other volunteers, the news editor will receive a free annual subscription to Friends Journal during service with the organization.