Quantcast

Pendle Hill Timeline

1915 The Woolman School, Pendle Hill’s predecessor, opens under the care of the Advancement Committee of Friends General Conference.
1925 Mary Lippincott donates her estate in Wyncote, Pa., to the Woolman School.
1927 The Woolman School is closed for lack of students and funds; Continuation Committee appointed.
1927 Planning meeting for a new Quaker educational center is held at Haverford (Pa.) Meetinghouse.
1928 Henry T. Hodgkin is chosen as director of studies for the new school.
1929 Three days after the stock market crash, Henry Hodgkin meets with leaders of the Pendle Hill experiment and recommends a curriculum of Quakerism, philosophy, applied Christianity, Bible, psychology, and religious education. Ann Silver of Beaverton, Oreg., is the first student registered.
1930–42 Joseph Platt provides continuity in operations through the changes in director.
1930–54 Robert Yarnall chairs the Pendle Hill Board.
1930 In September, Pendle Hill opens in Wallingford, Pa. Students are from nine states plus Canada, Scotland, and Japan, including two African American students. Teachers and lecturers include Henry Sharman, Rufus Jones, Henry Cadbury, Douglas Steere, Ilse Forrest, and George Thomas.
1934 The first Pendle Hill pamphlet, Coöperation and Coercion as Methods of Social Change, by Vincent Nicholson, is published, followed by A Religious Solution to the Social Problem, by Howard Brinton.
1935 Programmatic coöperation between Pendle Hill and American Friends Service Committee begins through Clarence Pickett.
1936–49 Anna Brinton serves as director and Howard Brinton as director of studies with a shared vision of applying Quaker principles to adult education and integrating religion with science. Faith‐based social change work flourishes, including labor education.
1949–52 Howard Brinton serves as director.
1952–70 Dan Wilson serves first as acting director, then as director. There is a greater inward focus and emphasis on the creative arts and literature.
1954–72 Douglas Steere chairs the Pendle Hill Board.
1960 The growing importance of contemplation at Pendle Hill is reflected in the change of tagline from “Center for Religious and Social Study” to “A Quaker Center for Study and Contemplation.”
mid‐ to late‐ ‘60s Students and staff demand more participatory governance; many staff and students are involved in nonviolent social change work, including civil rights activism.
1971–72 Colin Bell and Robert Scholz serve as directors.
1972–74 Robert Scholz serves as director.
1974–81 Edwin Sanders serves as executive clerk of a team in a new administrative model.
1975–80 Parker Palmer serves as dean of studies, writes The Meeting for Learning.
1970s‐80s Pendle Hill witness includes divestment in South Africa, supporting war‐tax resisters on staff, and food “lower on the food chain.”
1981–86 Robert Lyon serves as executive clerk.
1986–91 Margery Walker serves as executive secretary; the change in title comes from the Board.
1990s Young adult leadership development becomes part of Pendle Hill’s mission.
1991–2000 Dan Seeger serves as executive secretary.
2000‐05 Steve Baumgartner serves as executive director (another title change). There is greater programmatic focus on off‐campus social witness.
2005‐07 Barbara Parsons and Ken and Katharine Jacobsen serve as interim directors.
2007 Lauri Perman begins service as executive director.
2009 Pendle Hill pamphlet #400, Finding the Taproot of Simplicity by Frances Irene Taber, is published.
2010‐11 Pendle Hill celebrates 80 years of service to Friends, other spiritual seekers, and the broader community.

Shirley Dodson, director of communications for Pendle Hill, is a member of Middletown Meeting in Lima, Pa.


Posted in: Features

,

Comments are closed.
Sign up for Friends Journal's weekly e-newsletter. Quaker stories, inspiration, and news emailed every Monday.
Web comments may be used in the Forum column of the print magazine and may be edited for length and clarity.