#5 Mystical Experience, the Bedrock of Quaker Faith.
Robert Atchley’s look at the mystical side of Quaker faith from our February issue.
#4 Weeping to Joy.
From our August issue on the “Art of Dying and the Afterlife,” Betsy Blake’s moving story of dealing with the death of her younger sister at age 17.
#3: A Mysticism for Our Time
L. Roger Owens finds a renewed relevance for the twentieth-century Quaker Thomas Kelly’s efforts to balance activism and mysticism.
#2: It Breaks My Heart
2017 confirmed that Friends have entered a new era of schism and realignment. In our June/July issue on “Reimagining the Quaker Ecosystem,” Kate Pruitt shares the heartbreak of losing a spiritual community to polarized divisions.
#1: A Quaker Approach to Living with Dying
Katherine Jaramillo’s explored Quaker approaches to declining health, dying, and death in our August issue on “Death and Dying.”
Photos top to bottom: © Mopic; courtesy of the author Betsy Blake; courtesy of Quaker and Special Collections, Haverford College, Haverford, Pa.; Flickr/revdave; Martin Kelley.
The next five most-read articles of 2017 are:
- #6: What We Cannot Do Alone, Noah Merrill’s call to break out of institutional inertia.
- #7: Seven Tasks to Heal the World by Michael Soika.
- #8: Let’s Be Salt, an introduction to nonviolence by Daniel O. Snyder.
- #9: The Advantage of History, Gabriel Ehri’s interview with historian Timothy Snyder.
- #10: God as a Cow and the Duck Index, Tina Tau’s delightful essay unexpected life and spiritual guidance.
Catch up on past years’ lists!
- #5 Framing the Light by Jean Schnell.
- #4 Why Quakers Stopped Voting by Paul Buckley.
- #3 Affirming Ivy by Laura Noel.
- #2 The Third Reconstruction by William J Barber II.
- #1 A Gospel of Quaker Sexuality by Kody Gabriel Hersh.
- #5 Baltimore, the Time Is Now by Sarah Bur.
- #4 Reflections on Selma by Gail Whiffen.
- #3 What Quakers and Catholics Might Learn from One Another by John Pitts Corry.
- #2 Realizing Wholeness: Reflections from a Gay Palestinian Quaker by Sa’ed Atshan.
- #1 Beyond Goodness Sex by Su Penn.
- #5 Dear Friend/Good White Person by Regina Renee.
- #4 Sustainable Simplification Shuns “Shoulds” and Sacrifice by Chuck Hosking.
- #3 A Quaker Argument against Gun Control by Matthew Van Meter.
- #2 My Experience as an African American Quaker by Avis Wanda McClinton.
- #1 White Narcissism by Ron McDonald.
- #5: Bum-Rush the Internet interview with Jon Watts.
- #4: Categorically Not the Testimonies by Eric Moon.
- #3: Are Quakers Christian, Non-Christian, or Both? by Anthony Manousos.
- #2: Quakerism Left Me by Betsy Blake.
- #1: We Think He Might Be a Boy by Su Penn.
- #5: The Safety of Silence by Lindsey Mead Russell.
- #4: Eight Questions on Convergent Friends, an interview with Robin Mohr.
- #3: Quakers Are Way Cooler Than You Think by Emma Churchman.
- #2: Homosexuality: A Plea to Read the Bible Together by Douglas C Bennett.
- #1: When Quaker Process Fails by John M. Coleman.