The Most Popular Articles of 2019
Ann Jerome warns of the limitations and pitfalls of Quaker niceness, from the September issue.
From the January issue on racial diversity, Liz Oppenheimer’s confessions, learnings, and advices for building direct and authentic cross‐racial experiences.
Friends Journal news editor Erik Hanson reported on the hard work, healing, and fresh tragedies of a Quaker school confronting past institutional abuses. From the September issue.
Gabbreell James reminds us that our pantheon of Quaker heroes were not universally popular with Friends of their day and asks if we ourselves are on the right side of history?
The prophetic agitator is remembered and spoken of years later; the people that wanted them gone are forgotten today.
The most read article on FriendsJournal.org, Katharine Gerbner’s deep dive into the often‐forgotten period of Quaker slave‐owning in the Americas.
The next five most‐read articles of 2019 are:
- #6: Are We Ready to Make the Necessary Changes? by Vanessa Julye.
- #7: Why I Got Arrested at the Border by Lucy Duncan.
- #8: Fox Hunt by Cameron McWhirter.
- #9: Spiritual Simplicity by Andrew Huff.
- #10: Greater Racial Diversity Requires Greater Theological Diversity by Adria Gulizia.
Catch up on past years’ lists!
Top Articles of 2018
- #5 Are We Really Christian? by Margaret Namubuya Amudavi.
- #4 What People Really Want from Church and Quaker Meeting by Donald W. McCormick.
- #3 Simple Living Beyond the Thrift Store by Philip Harnden.
- #2 Can Quakerism Survive? by Donald W. McCormick.
- # 1 Civility Can Be Dangerous by Lucy Duncan.
- #5 Mystical Experience, the Bedrock of Quaker Faith by Robert Atchley.
- #4 Weeping to Joy by Betsy Blake.
- #3: A Mysticism for Our Time by Roger Owens.
- #2: It Breaks My Heart by Kate Pruitt.
- #1: A Quaker Approach to Living with Dying by Katherine Jaramillo.
- #5 Framing the Light by Jean Schnell.
- #4 Why Quakers Stopped Voting by Paul Buckley.
- #3 Affirming Ivy by Laura Noel.
- #2 The Third Reconstruction by William J Barber II.
- #1 A Gospel of Quaker Sexuality by Kody Gabriel Hersh.
- #5 Baltimore, the Time Is Now by Sarah Bur.
- #4 Reflections on Selma by Gail Whiffen.
- #3 What Quakers and Catholics Might Learn from One Another by John Pitts Corry.
- #2 Realizing Wholeness: Reflections from a Gay Palestinian Quaker by Sa’ed Atshan.
- #1 Beyond Goodness Sex by Su Penn.
- #5 Dear Friend/Good White Person by Regina Renee.
- #4 Sustainable Simplification Shuns “Shoulds” and Sacrifice by Chuck Hosking.
- #3 A Quaker Argument against Gun Control by Matthew Van Meter.
- #2 My Experience as an African American Quaker by Avis Wanda McClinton.
- #1 White Narcissism by Ron McDonald.
- #5: Bum‐Rush the Internet interview with Jon Watts.
- #4: Categorically Not the Testimonies by Eric Moon.
- #3: Are Quakers Christian, Non‐Christian, or Both? by Anthony Manousos.
- #2: Quakerism Left Me by Betsy Blake.
- #1: We Think He Might Be a Boy by Su Penn.
- #5: The Safety of Silence by Lindsey Mead Russell.
- #4: Eight Questions on Convergent Friends, an interview with Robin Mohr.
- #3: Quakers Are Way Cooler Than You Think by Emma Churchman.
- #2: Homosexuality: A Plea to Read the Bible Together by Douglas C Bennett.
- #1: When Quaker Process Fails by John M. Coleman.